Skip to main content

Cosplay Time!

Ah, my neglected blog. I find that it is around this time of year I begin to miss writing.  Probably not coincidental that it is close to DragonCon time.  I have spent the last couple of days browsing Pinterest, Imgur, and Google looking for cosplay inspiration.  I can never find anything that has my exact vision.  Maybe that is one of the reasons I like cosplay so much.  I am not great at drawing or other artistic things, but I can craft.  Through crafting I can create my"artwork".  Perhaps not.  It is just super fun to cosplay!

Last year I really did not do much with cosplay.  I have gained a significant amount of weight over the last few years,and I have let that impact my life.  There have been several things I have not done because of my weight and cosplay is one of those things.  I am both trying to lose weight and change that mindset.  Neither of those are easy tasks.  I have tried several different methods of losing weight (Weight Watchers, calorie counting, other fad diets), but I think using the LoseIt app works best for me.  I am my biggest enemy when it comes to weight loss. I have a lot of mental crap I have to get past to really lose the weight.  I digress.  This post is about cosplay.

This year I am doing 2-3 cosplays at DragonCon.  Cosplay one is going to be from Fallout 4.  I am going to build the clean room suit.

I work in a facility that makes poultry vaccines and we actually use clean room suits, so I have an easy base to work from.  There are some key differences from our suit to the Fallout 4 suit.  
  1. Color: Our suits and VERY white. I'm keeping it simple to update the colors.  First I will try spray paint and if I can't achieve the color or stability (no paint flaking off) with that, then I will try other fabric dyes and paints.  Hopefully I can achieve the color with spray paint though.  
  2. Fit: Fallout 4 has a very nice, very fitted suit.  The suit I am building from is not fitted...at all.  I will basically be chopping it apart and re-sewing to make it fitted.  
  3. Accessories: The suit I am working from is just a suit.  There are no attachments.  It is  a plain, standard clean room suit.  I will have to add the orange highlights, the rubber ventilator attachments, and the plastic front pocket.  
When I actually begin the build I will get photos of me in the suit and upload.  Hopefully I will look like the Fallout 4 character once finished.

Cosplay two will be an updated version of my fairy costume.  This one will be harder to hit the details of what I am changing since I don't really have a before picture of it.  The fairy is the original creation that I can't draw, paint, or sculpt.  I work with the idea that is in my head and build it to make my "art".  I will post photos of that once I start as well.

Cosplay three (if done) is really just a chance to wear the con-swag I have collected over the years.  Its a chance to wear my corsets, skirts, and accessories.  I already own all the parts so it will just be combining them in pleasing way.

Now, I'm off to clean the house...something I have been putting off for far too long.  I will create and upload photos once I begin the build on all the costumes.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Fitbit Fiasco

This week was not so great.  I worked lots of extra hours, and  I sometimes feel like my primary function is to baby sit adults.  I didn't get enough sleep this week, and I have been ravenously hungry.  I have at least figured out what caused The Hungry.  I quit taking birth control about a month ago and its hormone time.  Que all the usual suspects: hunger, fatigue, irritability, and general aches.  On the bright side, my knee has been feeling better so I have been going for short walks.  While I did not stay under on calories, I did meet my exercise goals, so at least I've got that going for me.  Now, onto the Fitbit story! I'm sure everyone knows what Fitbit is and the line of fitness products they offer.  ( www.fitbit.com )  Through a health program at work, I received a free one about 6 months ago.  Unfortunately, I lost it after a short time.  Then I started having knee problems so I never purchased a new one....

What I want

I want an extraordinary life where I do extraordinary things.  In all the turmoil I have been experiencing lately, this I can say with absolute certainty.  I want an extraordinary life where I do extraordinary things.  The next part of this is figuring out what that really means for me.

Depression and Asking for Help

Depression is one of the most well known mental disorders.  If I walked out into the streets and asked someone what depression is I'm sure I would get a many varied responses.  Some of them would be accurate and some of them would not be, but everyone I asked would know the word.  According to the National Institute of Mental Health , 6.7% of adults in the US suffered from depression in 2016.  The World Health Organization (WHO) states that "globally more than 300 million people of all ages suffer from depression."  Also according to WHO, "Depression is the leading cause of disability worldwide and is a major contributor to the overall global burden of disease." Despite this information many people still suffer in silence.  There are many reasons why people do not reach out when they are in need, but most are associated with shame and the stigma of the disease.  This silence needs to be broken.  Those who suffer with depression and other mental ...