Skip to main content

Update on Finding a Hobby

A few months ago I posted about trying to find a hobby.  I honestly haven't made much progress on that.  I thought this week with my time off would be a good time to really start exploring some of those things.  I decided to start by reviewing the original list and updating it/narrowing it down some.  The original post and list can be found here.

After reviewing it, I have narrowed it down further from 25 to 10. I have also made some notes on a few of them.


  1. Archery - I like the idea of this, but I think it is a really expensive hobby.  I'm leaving it on the list for now, but I don't know if it will ever happen.
  2. Board Games/Gaming - I'm combining this one with Entertaining, because for me these two go together.  I think I will try to start up a monthly game night.  People can come over to our place and we will play games and hang out. 
  3. Dancing - I could start belly dancing again.  Lessons are still ongoing.
  4. Hiking-Yes, I miss hiking.  I don’t know that I can camp anymore because of back issues, but maybe I could start taking a monthly day hiking trip.
  5. Learning a foreign language-Yes please!  I'm starting to review Japanese.  This one is directly related to my life as I am going to Japan in December.  Although  I don't know if I will become fluent in Japanese.
  6. Playing an instrument (clarinet or violin) - I have a clarinet so I would really like to do this, but lessons are pricey.  However, I did spend several hundred dollars on the clarinet so maybe I should do it....
  7. Running - I would really like to run a 5K.  I get injured every time I start training for this though.  Maybe the 1 millionth time is the charm?
  8. Tennis - This is a maybe.  I would have to find somewhere and someone to play with.  I doubt I can convince Ben.
  9. Yoga - There are several yoga studios in town.  Again, this is a money and time issue.  I could have so many hobbies if I was rich!!!!
  10. Fencing - This is extremely pricey, but there is a studio that teaches close by.  

Digging a little deeper into some of the hobbies (the ones that require lessons/money):

Archery - lessons start at about $100 in my area.  This does not include gear.  I'm not ruling it out, but it will go on the back burner for now.

Dancing - At DanceFX in Athens, Georgia, I could take Burlesque at 3 PM on Sundays.  There are other options, but this is the only class that appeals to me.  Prices are $50-$65/month depending on how long the class is.  

At Canopy I can take Trapeze dance, but wouldn't be able to start until Summer is over and they are also quite pricey at ~$150 for a 10 week session.  

At the Healing Arts Center I can do Belly Dancing Mondays at7:15 for $60 for 6 weeks or $14 drop in.  This is the one I have done before. 

Clarinet - At Chick Piano I can get lessons for $25 for a 30 minute session and a $20 one time registration fee.  I would also need to purchase a cleaning and care kit for m clarinet and a music stand and I'm sure a music book.  However, This might be doable if I can space out my lessons to every other week or even every 3 weeks.  I could even do once a month if they would let me.  I would learn very slowly at that rate, but since I'm just doing it for my own enjoyment I don't necessarily think that would be a bad a thing.  

There are a few other options, but this seems to be the most reasonably priced.

Tennis - Athens-Clarke offers tennis clinics for $15, but since I would be doing this as hobby only I could probably just buy a racket and some balls and find someone to play with.  The finding someone to play with would be the hard part.

Yoga - I have several options for Yoga in Athens.  I'm going to focus on 2 different studios and only point out the classes that work for my schedule.

At Five Points Yoga I have several options:
Tuesdays at 6:15 I could do Flow Yoga
Wednesdays at 4:30 Gentle Flow, 6:15 Hot Power Flow, 6:30 Alignment Yoga
Fridays at 4:30 Flow Yoga, 6:00 Gentle Flow
Prices are $99 for monthly unlimited, or $115 for 10 class card, or $17 drop in, or $65 for 5 class card.  Assuming I would only go once per week I could do the 5 class card which would be $13/class.  They also offer a new client $40 card so I could take 2 weeks and try lots of different classes.

Keep It Simple Yoga has Hatha Yoga at 6:00 on Tuesdays or Gentle Yin Yoga at 6:00 on Fridays.  For me, the best pricing would be the $13/drop in.  

There is another yoga studio in Athens, but a lot of the classes are on hold for summer.  

And finally:
Fencing -   Athens Fencing Club offers lessons at $110 month with a beginner special.  All equipment is included in rental.   Its a maybe.  I think it would be fun, but I just don't know if I can afford it.  

I have all the information compiled.  The next step is deciding and when and what I will try.  I will create a schedule for that and update it soon.  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Fitbit Fiasco

This week was not so great.  I worked lots of extra hours, and  I sometimes feel like my primary function is to baby sit adults.  I didn't get enough sleep this week, and I have been ravenously hungry.  I have at least figured out what caused The Hungry.  I quit taking birth control about a month ago and its hormone time.  Que all the usual suspects: hunger, fatigue, irritability, and general aches.  On the bright side, my knee has been feeling better so I have been going for short walks.  While I did not stay under on calories, I did meet my exercise goals, so at least I've got that going for me.  Now, onto the Fitbit story! I'm sure everyone knows what Fitbit is and the line of fitness products they offer.  ( www.fitbit.com )  Through a health program at work, I received a free one about 6 months ago.  Unfortunately, I lost it after a short time.  Then I started having knee problems so I never purchased a new one....

What I want

I want an extraordinary life where I do extraordinary things.  In all the turmoil I have been experiencing lately, this I can say with absolute certainty.  I want an extraordinary life where I do extraordinary things.  The next part of this is figuring out what that really means for me.

Depression and Asking for Help

Depression is one of the most well known mental disorders.  If I walked out into the streets and asked someone what depression is I'm sure I would get a many varied responses.  Some of them would be accurate and some of them would not be, but everyone I asked would know the word.  According to the National Institute of Mental Health , 6.7% of adults in the US suffered from depression in 2016.  The World Health Organization (WHO) states that "globally more than 300 million people of all ages suffer from depression."  Also according to WHO, "Depression is the leading cause of disability worldwide and is a major contributor to the overall global burden of disease." Despite this information many people still suffer in silence.  There are many reasons why people do not reach out when they are in need, but most are associated with shame and the stigma of the disease.  This silence needs to be broken.  Those who suffer with depression and other mental ...